Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Green-Haired Monster



You were probably expecting another post from Summer, right? Well, this isn't Summer. It's Kiwi. But the post is still about Summer's twin. You know, Marigold.

I'm really happy for Summer. Really. But I'm feeling a little bit jealous, too. Okay, a lot jealous.

You see, I've always been Summer's special sister. Of course, Summer loves all her sisters equally, and so do I. It's not about loving more. Summer and I have been through a lot together, though. We lived in the foster home together before we met anyone else from the family. We promised that we'd always be together. We both turn into cats - most people don't turn into cats - so we shared that too. 

We've always had a special bond.

I'm afraid we aren't going to have a special bond anymore, though, because Summer has a new special sister. Having a twin is way better than having me, isn't it?

I haven't been in a very good mood about this. I've been trying to act excited for Summer, but it hurts that I'm not special sister number one anymore. When I was getting ready to go to gymnastics this afternoon, I saw Summer reading that letter again. I passed her, and she didn't even notice me. That made me even madder. So I went into the kitchen, slammed down my gymnastics bag, and announced to whoever was listening - which happened to be Tabitha - that, "Fruits are way better than flowers! At least you can eat fruit! Flowers just sit there!"

Tabitha stared at me like she didn't know what I was talking about. She probably didn't. You might have needed to be inside my brain to know I was saying that kiwis are better than marigolds. 

"What's going on?" Tabitha asked.

I sighed, and said, "I have the green-haired monster!"

Tabitha blinked. "The what?"

"You know, jealousy!" I told her.

Tabitha laughed. "That's called the green-eyed monster, not the green-haired one. And why are you jealous?"

"Because I'm not Summer's special sister anymore. She has Marigold and she doesn't need me anymore. She probably doesn't even like me! She probably barely remembers me!" I was getting worked up, but I didn't care.

Tabitha shook her head, and said, "Summer would never forget you, Kiwi. She loves you. And you'll always be her first special sister, even if Marigold is her special sister too. Summer is just excited because the whole thing with Marigold is so new. She'll get used to having Marigold in her life, and she'll start spending more time with you again."

I hope so. But the green-haired monster... or green-eyed, or whatever... is telling me that I'm not as good as Marigold.

Love,
Kiwi

6 comments:

  1. Moshimoshi!
    I feel jealous of my two sisters all of the time! But, when I do, I just talk to someone about it (usually my older cousin or Mom).

    Still, I'm sure Summer still cares about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi says:

      I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. Thanks for telling me. Talking to Tabitha made me feel a little better.

      I know that Summer still cares about me. She's not mean enough to hate me. It still hurts my heart a little that I seem less special now.

      Love,
      Kiwi

      Delete
  2. Hi Kiwi! (By the way, I love your name!)

    I know what it is like to feel jealousy. I was a bit jealous when Emma came, but now we're best friends.

    The bond you share with Summer will never change. You will always have Summer to be with, and no one can replace the bond that you have. As Tabitha said, Marigold could be Summer's special sister too, but you'll always be the first.

    Love,
    Reese <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi says:

      Hi, Reese! I love my name, too. My full first name is Caroline, but I like going by Kiwi a lot better.

      It's really good to hear that I'm not the only one who feels jealous. If other people got over it, I can too, I guess.

      You're right. I'll always have a bond with Summer. I just hope Summer remembers that, too.

      Love,
      Kiwi

      Delete
  3. You are going to be just as close as ever, just newness is hard to get the excitement out of the way .. hold on and be patient with her, and talk to Summer about how you are feeling, that will help a lot to make her understand you are a green-haired Monster but you are just afraid .. she needs to know how you feel.

    love ya,
    Brya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi says:

      You're right, Brya. It was hard at first, but now I'm getting used to it all. I talked to Summer and she apologized for ignoring me, and I forgave her.

      I've met Marigold now, and I actually really like her. She's starting to feel like my sister, too.

      I don't feel the green-haired monster anymore. :-)

      Love,
      Kiwi

      Delete